Prospective students are eligible to apply to the graduate program in their Junior year. The deadline for applications is January 1. The following requirements must be met by this time:
- Major GPA of at least 3.5 and cumulative GPA of at least 3.00;
- On track to complete all requirements for a B.A. degree in History from KU with one additional year of study beyond the junior year.
Applicants must complete an Application for Graduate Study online. The following information should be gathered in advance and uploaded with the application:
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from professors in the major). You will be asked to enter the names and e-mail addresses for two recommenders while completing the online application. Your recommenders will automatically receive an e-mail requesting their letters when you submit the application. It is not necessary for your recommenders to send hard copies of their letters to the department if they submit their letters electronically. Should a recommender feel uncomfortable with the online submission process, please contact the department for more options.
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- A one-page statement of educational and career objectives
- A writing sample, preferably from an history course, 5-10 pages of text not including the bibliography, endnotes, or images following endnotes.
Upon review of the Application for Admission, the History Department will notify the student of his or her eligibility to begin coursework in the program the following Fall semester. Final acceptance to the graduate program will be contingent upon the following:
- Successful completion of all requirements for the Bachelor’s degree;
- Grades of B+ or above in all History graduate-level coursework taken in the final year of undergraduate study.
- Submission of a Program of Study
Program of Study
- After acceptance to the program, M.A. students will submit an M.A. Program of Study Worksheet. Students are expected to identify three fields of study (geographical, thematic, and chronological) in consultation with their primary advisor. These fields must be approved by the primary advisor and Director of Graduate Study by April 15. The Program of Study Worksheet also designates a Primary Advisor and two other faculty advisors as the official members of the student’s M.A. Committee.